CHARITY KNITTED SQUARES:
CAREHAVEN – HOME FOR ABUSED WOMEN AND CHILDREN
We think this organisation is really special, here is a summary:
- They help an abuse woman escape to a home of safety that they manage
- After allowing them ‘down time’ they then begin the rehabilitation process, which takes months. They help the women rebuild her dignity and then help her find work and independence.
- Once the woman is safe and has re-established herself, they help her be reunited with caring family.
- If this is not an option, she moves with her children into an onsite flat.
- After a time period between 6 months to 2 yrs she leave the home of safety and is reintegrated into society.
Our goal is to make intentional blankets for the women who are leaving there or unable to leave yet. When they leave they are rehabilitated but scarred. They leave owning almost with almost no furniture or linen.
This is our gift to them to say: “As women we salute their strength and courage”
The care haven is part of the Salvation Army
Quoted from their web page: “Carehaven is situated in Athlone, Western Cape, and offers sanctuary and short term housing to up to 60 women who are victims of domestic abuse and their children. Although a strong Christian emphasis in maintained, women of all races and creeds are embraced, and no one is ever turned away due to lack of money”
Adding this item to your cart is a commitment to knitting/crocheting your 3 squares and returning them within 3 months.
You may add this item for free to your cart to be sent with other items — please select your postage method at checkout.